“One Child, One Teacher, One Book and One Pen. Can Change The World”.
Malala Yousafzai is Pakistani education advocate. Who is also the youngest person to win the Nobel Prize at the age of 17. She was born on 12th July 1997 in Mingora, Pakistan. She became advocate for girl’s education and demanded female education rights. She started her writing and speak out for female education which resulted in Taliban issuing a death threat against her.
On October 9, 2012, a gunman shot Malala when she was traveling home from school. She survived and continued to speak out on importance of education. On her 16th birthday, she gave speech at headquarter of United Nation in July 2013. At the speech, she called for worldwide access to education and also published her first book “I Am Malala”. In 2014, she won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Contributions and Achievements of Malala Yousafzai
Contribution to Human Rights and Education
- Malala fought against a Taliban ban on education for girls in the Swat District of Pakistan.
- Malala became advocate for the rights of all children and girls in particular, to go to school and receive a quality education, free from discrimination and fear.
- Malala and Kailash Satyarthi (Indian children rights activist) has built a global movement against child labor and rescued thousands of children from exploitative labor and trafficking.
- Malala became a symbol of challenges students face amid internal conflict and war.
- In her address to United Nation in July, She stressed the importance of education to support countries suffering from terrorism.
Awards and achievements of malala Yousafzai
- National Malala Peace Prize – 2011
- Mother Teresa Award – 2012
- Sakharov Prize – 2013
- Glamour Award for The Girl’s Hero – 2013
- Simon de Beauvoir Prize – 2013
- United Nations Prize in the Field of Human – 2013
- Ambassador of Conscience Award – 2013
- Good reads Choice Awards Best Memoir & Autobiography – 2013
- Nobel Peace Prize – 2014
- Shorty Award for Teen Hero – 2015
- International Children’s Peace Prize
- Philadelphia Liberty Medal
- Honorary degree
- Anna Politkovskaya Award
- Ellis Island Medal of Honor
- Grammy Award for Best Children’s Album